What is a Personal Tax Account? How do I get one? What can I do with it?

  • HMRC launched this account in December 2015
  • It is intended to make it easier for individuals to review and manage their tax affairs online, together with other interactions with HMRC such as tax credits or child benefit.
  • See below for a list of features and services available through the account
  • By December 2016, 7 million people had accessed their account.

Setting up a PTA

  • Before you can set up your account you will need to verify your identity with HMRC
  • There are two ways to do this:
    • Using your existing Government gateway account.  You will have one of these if you have previously submitted a Tax Return online.  You will also need a note of your National Insurance number.
    • Using Gov.UK Verify.  HMRC will ask you to select from a number of companies who will ask you some questions and check certain documents and financial information in order to verify your identity to HMRC.  You will need access to personal documents such as a P60, bank statement, passport or driving license.
  • Visit www.gov.uk/personal-tax-account to set up or sign into your account.

What can I do with my PTA?

HMRC are working to increase the number of services and the information that you can access through your account.

Currently these include the following:

Employment and PAYE

  • Check your tax code
  • See an income tax estimate
  • See details of employment income received and tax deducted that has been submitted by your employer
  • Check the benefits in kind that you receive from your employer
  • Tell HMRC about changes to your company car
  • Claim a repayment of overpaid PAYE / make a payment of underpaid PAYE


  • Obtain a State Pension forecast
  • See details of periods of contracting out and the estimated additional private pension as a result
  • See your National Insurance payment history and any gap years

Tax credits and benefits

  • Renew tax credits
  • Check and manage your tax credits
  • Report changes affecting your child benefit or tax credit claim


  • Complete and submit your Tax Return
  • Make a claim to reduce your payments on account
  • Claim a tax repayment to be paid directly to your bank account
  • Check whether you qualify for the transferable Married Couples Allowance, and make a claim


  • Go paperless: opt out of receiving paper copies of various notices.
  • Tell HMRC about a change of address
  • Track forms that you have submitted online
  • Authorise a friend or family to manager tax affairs on your behalf (need to use the Verify ID check).
  • Make a notification under the Disclosure of Tax Avoidance Scheme (DOTAS) rules.
  • Claim a repayment of higher SDLT rate following the sale of your main residence.

A full list of services can be found in HMRC’s guidance here.


Please contact us if you need further advice, have any questions about our services, would like a free consultation or a fixed fee quote.